Ratatouille with goats cheese and herb crumble
I am often asked for non meat options for Sunday lunch and this recipe fits the bill nicely. The ratatouille is full of flavour and the crumble topping makes it feel more wholesome. Serve with the usual roast dinner accompaniments or a nice crisp green salad for a lighter meal.
Ratatouille with Goats’ Cheese and Herb Crumble
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 aubergine, cut in half lengthwise and thickly sliced
- 3 courgettes, thickly sliced
- 2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into bite sized chunks
- 1 green pepper, deseeded and cut into bite sized chunks
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- a large handful of fresh basil, roughly chopped
- 125g goats’ cheese
For the crumble
- 225g wholemeal or country style bread
- 1 tbsp green pesto
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
Heat the olive oil in a large pan, add the onions and garlic and gently fry for 8-10 minutes. Add the aubergine, courgettes and peppers and fry for a further 10 minutes.
Tip in the chopped tomatoes, season well, cover and cook for 20 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat, stir in the chopped basil and set aside to cool.
Meanwhile, make the crumble. Put the bread in a food processor and blend to fine breadcrumbs. Add the pesto, oil, herbs and plenty of seasoning, then blend again.
Preheat oven to 190°C/Fan 170°C/Gas 5.
Fold the goats’ cheese through the ratatouille. Spoon into a 2 litre ovenproof dish. Sprinkle the crumble over the top and place in the oven and bake for 25 minutes, until crisp and golden.