We are kicking off the new year with a quick and easy recipe which is designed for using up bits of leftovers. Although quick to cook, do allow yourself about 15 minutes to get all the ingredients together and prepare all the veg. As with all stirfrys it’s best to have everything prepared in advance, ready to go. The recipe serves 2 people really generously and we have been known to eat this cold, the next day for lunch.
- 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 tbsp freshly grated root ginger
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- 125g shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 175g raw tiger prawns, shelled and deveined. Defrosted if frozen
- 100g smoked Pancetta, diced
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and sliced
- 1 carrot, peeled and chopped lengthways into thin ribbons
- 150g bean sprouts
- 100g cooked chicken, shredded
- 250g dried vermicelli rice noodles, presoaked in hot water for 5 minutes and drained
- 1 teasp dried chillies
- 2 tbsp reduced salt soy sauce
- 2 tbsp Oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 spring onions, sliced lengthways
Heat the oil in a wok on a high heat and stir fry the ginger, fresh chilli, mushrooms and turmeric for a few seconds.
Add the prawns and stir fry for 1 minute until they start to turn pink, then add the bacon and cook for further minute. Add the rest of the vegetables and cook for another minute, then add the cooked chicken and stir well to combine.
Add the noodles and stir fry for 2 minutes, then season with the chillies, soy sauce, oyster sauce and vinegar and stir to combine.
Add the beaten egg and stir gently until the egg is cooked through. Sprinkle with the spring onions and serve immediately.